US History Homework
Due April 18th
A) pp.815- 1st 1/2 of p.818 Write one paragraph or create a series of notes that explain why developments in China make the U.S. Govt. uneasy in the 1940s. You must use evidence from the textbook.
1. Analyze the handout
- Causes of the Korean War
- Key people
- Major events of the Korean War
2. What do you think the impact of this war will be globally and domestically for the United States?
C) Note for the future....Due to an unforeseen problem, the Cold War Documents should have been done either as homework for 4/17 or in class - neither happened, as a result - they were done in class on Thursday as I forgot to shift some of these assignments around. If you were not in class on Thursday, you should complete them.
Due Friday April 19th
See Step #7 for more details on what is due and when it is due. At this point, your outline should show a clear answer to your thesis question, main points, clear paragraph topics, and a partial list of evidence for each paragraph. Continue to include the Card# next to your evidence notes in your outline so you can easily find the notes and their sources when you begin writing
Format of Formal Outline
Sample of Outline used in class
Due April 22
A) Priority - Chapter Skim - pp.822-833 - Chapter 26, section 3 & 4 - Skim and take notes on the above pages. Be sure to take notes on the key terms and names listed on pp. 822,
B) Finish research or begin writing your paper - 1st 3 pages are due this Friday 4/26....
Due April 23
A) Priority - Finish the reading from class - "100 Days - Starting the Job..."
1.Why did President Eisenhower visit Korea in early 1953 and how did this influence the Korean War?
2.Why were the peace negotiations failing before April 1953?
3.What were Eisenhower’s views on war and peace?
4.How did the peace negotiations after April 1953 embody or reflect this view?
5.Many have criticized Eisenhower’s peace process. Do you agree or disagree with how he ended the war?
B) Priority - McCarthyism DBQs and Communist Acts
Complete the documents (we will have some class time - but not much - to work on these on Friday)
B) Begin trying to write your paper or finish working on the Bibliography
4/24 - WEDNESDAY'S CLASS WILL BE IN THE COMPUTER LAB rm 640 - YOU WILL BE WORKING ON YOUR RESEARCH PAPER OR BIBLIOGRAPHY. BRING IN YOUR FLASH DRIVES (I will be checking homework, This assignment should be completed so that you can work solely on the project for the next two nights)
Due April 24
1) PRIORITY - pp.876-884
A) Take notes on pp.876-884
* The Kennedy Mystique - Camelot
* Kennedy's Military Strategy
* Crisis in Cuba
- Bay of Pigs
- Missile Crisis
* The Berlin Crisis
* Strategies to ease Cold War Tensions
B. Why do you think the Kennedy's White House Administration was nicknamed Camelot?
2) Finish Classwork - Activity #2 (PDF) due Thursday-
For each excerpt/document -
Due April 25
1) Bibliography Due for research paper (NOTE THIS DATE HAS BEEN CHANGED)
2) Begin writing research paper, don't all the work until tomorrow.
Due April 26
Step 8 - Write the 3 Page Intro and Background Section
see 10 step process for what is required in Step 8
If you have AP exams - bring your registration to me and you may be able to negotiate a later due date for the paper. - DUE DATE FOR PAPER - 2 APs or more - May 13
Make Sure you are creating Endnotes and Footnotes - The PDFs on Falkovian History provide a guideline for the MLA style format and Chicago Style Formatting of Citations and an overview of how a research paper should be organized.
Due Monday, April 29
1) Priority -Finish U-2 Spy Plane & Documents - Handout distributed in class.
2) Watch the video "Happy Days - part 3 of 3 follow the directions on where to stop and start the film - take notes on the Eisenhower's Highway System, the Space Race and impact of Sputnik
3) Priority - Kennedy Inaugural Address (PDF) & (DOC)
4) Finish the Eisenhower Doctrine Questions (on the back of the class notes distributed on Thursday If you were not in class on Friday)
Start at minute - 2:15 - 5:15 skip to 7:15 and end 12: 30 (the Quiz Show)
CLASSWORK for 4/30
1) a. Review Kennedy's October 27th Communique to Nikita Khrushchev (the Soviet Premier) (PDF) How would you describe the tone of Kennedy's letter?
b. How would you describe the tone of Khrushchev's response?
c. How/Why does Khrushchev justify Soviet actions of the preceding months?
d. What do these texts reveal about changes in US-Soviet relations at the end of the Cuban missile Crisis?
2) If not done in class on 5/1 -
Write a one-two paragraph response to the following questions siting historical evidence:
- To what extent did Kennedy's foreign policy of "Flexible Response" increase the tensions of the Cold War?
Due Wednesday - May 1
A) Watch the video posted below (starting at the specified time period) and respond to the following prompt citing evidence from class and the video - What was the mood of the nation during the Cuban Missile Crisis? Do you think American fears/reactions were justified? How does this correspond to the situation in North Korea today? (This will be collected)
B) pp. 840-843, 847-855: Take Notes on the following questions:
1. What were some of the adjustments that Americans had to make at the end of WWII?
2. What economic challenges faced Truman in the late 1940s?
3. How did the "baby boom" impact the nation?
4. What were the goals of the American Dream of the 1950s?
Watch from minute - 9:30 - 18:20 - it really goes into the Berlin Wall and the Cuban Missile Crisis
Due Thursday, May 2
Write 2 paragraphs citing evidence from the Textbook, film (shown Wednesday) and both handouts (distributed in class) that reflect on the following two questions:
a) - How did the changes in society and economics during the 1950s and early 1960s both embody and fail to embody the American Dream?
b) - To what extent does Betty Friedan reveal the truth about the American Dream?
Friday, May 3
Important Moments in US History
Check out this fascinating TED talk by Oliver Sacks. It was recommended by one of your peers and his growing interest in Neurology and how little we truly know about how the brain functions.
The Bonus Army
FDR's New Deal - Cool Website (for a History nut)
I found a really interesting website on FDR's Presidency. It includes a cool interactive Periodic Table of the New Deal which includes information on Legislation and Key People in his administration. Check this out!!!!
Cold War Movie Project - Due May 29, 2013
Select one or two films from the list of movies below and write a typed one page summary in which you:
- explain what aspect of the Cold War the film(s) covers *(look at the questions below)
- explain how the United States is represented in the film (Is America, a small part in the larger film or is the film entirely focused on American participation?)
- Some films claim to be based on fact. Evaluate to what extent this is true for the films you have chosen, or to what degree has the director created a fantasy? You must find and use at least one (no more than three) primary source documents that support your evaluation with proper citations (we will review citations with the research project).
Questions to think about while watching the movie:
a) What is the question being raised in the film?
b) What is at stake for the characters in the film?
c) How are these issues conveyed visually?
d) Is there ever a disconnect between what we here and what we see? (Are the actions contradicting the dialogue?)
Cold War Movie List
- Good Night and Good Luck
- The Manchurian Candidate (Frank Sinatra Version)
- Dr. Strangelove
- One, Two, Three
- Spy Game
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers
- Ice Station Zebra
- Red Dawn
- On the Beach
- White Nights (This selection is dedicated to all those dance majors out there)
- Seven Days in May
- Thirteen Days
- Heartbreak Ridge
- War Games
- The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming!
- Three Days of the Condor
- Moscow on the Hudson
- The Way We Were
- All the Presidents Men
- Atomic Café
- The Fog of War (on Robert McNamara)
- Point of Order
The Research Paper
The following documents were distributed in class for the United States History Research Paper 2012-2013.
Follow this link to the LaGuardia High School Library's Online Website
What does it mean if Ms. Falkove "Prioritizes" an assignment?????
If Ms. Falkove mentions that an assignment has "priority" in class or on-line, she wants you to focus your efforts on making sure you complete this task before working on a secondary assignment. Although that "secondary" assignment might be checked, you will have at least one extra day to make this assignment up. It does not mean that you don't have to do the other assignment.
Letters of Recommendations and Rave Sheets
Ms. Falkove will post instructions, here, at the end of May for those Juniors looking for letters of recommendation. Do NOT approach her before then.
Extra Credit Handouts
Writing Style Guides
Common Problems with Newspaper Articles
Review the following questions and address the problems before resubmitting the article as part of the project: